Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Big Kid 101

Big day today... I saw a sale going on at Kmart for sheet sets, so I decided this was the day that Haleah and Kaelah would get "bed upgrades." I started off the morning on a positive note, as I snagged an unheard of 8.5 hours of sleep, since Bekah slept through the night. Her four front teeth are in now, so perhaps we all get some relief!

We headed to Kmart and happened to find the two
coveted Disney characters (of the moment) for my kids---Ariel (for Haleah) and Tinkerbell (for Kaelah). The sheet sets were on sale, but the character pillows were not. So I gave David a "puppy dog" face and said, "Look how cuuuuute," and then he agreed to buy them too. I got lucky.

After our run about in Kmart, we decided to let the kids play at a nearby park since it was a record-breakingly warm day. It was perfectly sunny and breezy and totally enjoyable. The kids got to play at a playground then huck some big rocks into a swamp. Their day was complete after that!

But it didn't end there. We ventured to McDonald's together for an impromptu family lunch. While there, we saw the LeMay's, a sweet older couple whom we pu
rchased our minivan from over a year ago. They still remembered us and hoped that we were still enjoying our vehicle. We didn't tell them that water now pours through the vents in the car when it rains, or that the passenger side window no longer opens, or that the radio mechanisms are jacked. I'm sure all of this must have something to do with the fact that three babies right this car on a regular basis...

This afternoon, after David went to work, the girls and I picked up my niece Gracyn and came home to organize the new bedding. I moved Haleah's tiny toddler bed into Bekah's room (for a day down the road that she would use it), and gave Haleah a full box spring and mattress set. I am worried that she might fall off?? But I think she can manage it, and we are going to give it a try. She loves her new Ariel set up. Kaelah is coming out of her crib and down to one floor mattress for now, to get her acclimated. She seemed more than willing to make this transition tonight in her Tinkerbell bed. And I had a conversation with her to "stay in her bed" if she wakes up. I told her to still call for us if she needs us. I hope that little head of hers was paying attention. We shall see!

After the beds were assembled, we took off to my other niece, Cora's soccer game. Cora played goalie for the 1st half and was like a brick wall. She didn't let anything pass her by. She did great! And she played defense during second half and was a force to be reckoned with.

My girls were moderately behaved. I had to take Haleah to a disgusting outhouse of a bathroom two times during the course of the game. It was a really sketchy place located behind the bleachers--the kind of bathroom I have nightmares about. Then, when the game ended, and we ventured back to the parking lot with all our stuff, Haleah told me she had to go potty again. I was like, "WHAT? You just went! Twice! And I'm NOT bringing you back to that disgusting bathroom again!"

But Haleah insisted that she had to go. So in the parking lot, I tried to shield her with the stroller and my body while my mother-in-law helped her squat down. And Haleah didn't go. So we all got buckled up and into the car. And as I was backing out of the parking space, Haleah declared, "I said I DIDN'T have to go!" I was thinking she was out of her mind. Haleah put up quite a production to tell me she did have to go and couldn't wait until we got home. So we tried to make a way for her, only for her to tell us moments after that charade that she never had to go. Ugh!

Anyhow, we really did have a good day. We came home and got some cereal (cause we kind of missed dinner due to the soccer game), and I put the girls to bed in their "new digs." I hope they sleep tight, but I'll be listening closely in the monitors tonight.

No comments: