Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day-- Ray of Light

It was an unexpected encounter that moved me deeply, beyond words. I was racing out of my house early this morning to catch a few deals, on a mission... I made it into Walmart to grab my sale items and make my way to the check out line. The cashier was having trouble ringing through my items and called for a manager. As I was waiting, I glanced behind me. A man was carefully placing his items on the belt, waiting for his turn. I noticed that he was stacking cat food cans and kitty litter---lots of it. I looked at him and then it dawned on me---he was wearing his black and yellow U.S. Veteran's hat and matching jacket. I didn't look at it closely, but I recognized right away, that he had served our country. And when my brain caught up with my sight, I realized it was Memorial Day and that I had to say something to this man.

I said matter of factly, "Sir, I just want to thank you for serving our country. It means so much. Thank you." And I shook his hand and made it a point to look him straight in the eyes. He looked at me and smiled and almost started to cry. He said I had made his day... I found that comment to be interesting. Didn't any one else ever thank him? It seemed like such a simple comment to make...

I was then interrupted, my attention being drawn back to the transaction at hand. I answered a couple of questions for the cashier who was now fiddling (actually, fighting) with her cash register. I glanced at the former serviceman again. He said to me, "You know, there is a story that goes along with all of this cat food..." And I began to listen...

He said, "I served in WWII with my brother right after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. My brother was killed and my plane was shot down and I became a prisoner of war. I was caged, without food, for days on end. But there was this cat that would come by my cage and mew at me. Every day I waited for that comfort and connection that that cat would bring. And then one day, after I was almost dead from starvation, that cat came back to me and dropped a dead rat outside my cage for me. I reached between the bars of the cage and grabbed that rat and ate it. That cat saved my life."

He continued, "I have no family now. But I have my cat."

Okay, now I had tears streaming down my face in the middle of Walmart, but I didn't care. I hugged that man and now honestly told him, "Because of your sacrifice, I am able to live and raise my children today. God bless you!" What he said to me truly put into perspective what men like him did for ALLof us, for men and women of the past, present and future, for children of the 1960's, the 1970's and for children that are not even yet born.

I looked into his eyes as he said, "That brings back so many memories." And I knew it was painful for him. In his eyes I could see back through to 60+ years ago. I said, "Sir, what is your name?" He said, "Miller. Ray Miller." By this time we had a small crowd of people listening in and watching us cry. I said, "Mr. Miller, I will pray for you, and thank you again." And this time I really, REALLY meant it. Mr. Miller truly opened my eyes to the sacrifice that was made. I didn't make his day--he impacted mine.

My cashier was speechless, but I was moved beyond words. I finished my transaction and proceeded to the parking lot, a mess. If I had had my wares about me I would have, SHOULD have paid for his cat supplies. But that thought didn't cross my mind until a couple of hours later, and I was so irritated with myself. But in that one special interaction with that 80-something year old man is something I will never forget. It will be a treasure in my heart forever, and I will remember Ray Miller-- soldier, hero, veteran, citizen and neighbor in my prayers tonight.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing this story. I am speechless.

Anonymous said...

Awh that is a great story.Thank you for sharing it.

There was a special reason why you were both in line together.

Lara you thanking him and listening to him share his story and experience means so much more then helping him with his purchases.

Jen

Melissa R. said...

This story made me cry. Thank you for doing that, Lara (talking to Ray, not making me cry). I need to learn to slow down and notice the people around me. I think that I probably would have been so immersed in my kids and annoyed at that cashier that I probably would not have even noticed the man behind me. You have encouraged me to pay closer attention to others.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thank you.
C-